• QI — Tell us about something interesting!
  • So,

The front page told me the forums are quiet and I should do something about it. As a result, I'm trying to make a difference.

I'm loving this site. The Compare Pokemon gadget is very neat. :D

Much appreciated, citizen.

Man I need to work on the forums or something.

Depends on how much you want to deal with community here.

Only like half a dozen people have figure out how to log in, so...

Reading this thread inspired me join the forum. Hoorah! Admittedly the OpenID situation gave me pause at first, but I figured it out.

Yeah the forums are quiet....I just noticed it right now too =3

Reading this shamed me into joining x3 I've used this site so much but never thought to register, as much as I love it.

Registration is hard to get used to. But still.....theres hardly anyone on here =/

OpenID is pretty simple, imo. Even on Gmail.

It's abit annoying to be logged out so often, but meh.

Hello. I am a completely random person.

Logged in I am.

I will probably still use the site primary for random "does x learn y" queries.

Absol does indeed learn a non-Sucker Punch priority attack. Interesting.

I think OpenID is really straightforward. Even though for some reason the 'http://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id' gave me an error today, which is why I used /profiles/username and thus my avatar is different.

But yeah, I wish more places would use OpenID.

Way to make people come out of lurking, sheesh!

This site is mega useful, I continue to encourage people to give it a go since you can search literally anything(existing ingame, of course) and find it effortlessly.

I particularly like the 'compare Pokemon' feature; way easier to visualize Pokemon size scaled next to one another for drawing purposes, especially when they happen to be banging one another.

Alas, why must Gamefreak continue to calculate height and ignore length? Such dimensions obscure the projected size of elongated snake-like bodied Pokemon: Dragonair, Seviper, etc.

Alas, why must Gamefreak continue to calculate height and ignore length? Such dimensions obscure the projected size of elongated snake-like bodied Pokemon: Dragonair, Seviper, etc.

Don't forget Slowpoke. It's not as bad now, since B/W brings us back to the sprite with the raised tail, but it looked super-huge with its HG/SS sprite.

(Also my last post got eaten; who knows why.)

Hahahah wow, blockquotes have no styling at all. Great.

Wait, that's not even a block quote. What the hell.

Yes! I've been silently complaining (albeit to myself) about the height vs. length thing ever since they added the relative size to the pokédex. They need to calculate length, or at least do some elementary math to figure up what the height of the sprite would be relative to its length for pokémon like Giratina (Origin), Onix, etc.

It's not that hard to figure out. If x number of Onix's total # of segments are raised up off the ground in its sprite, then you do a simple ratio to find out a (very rough) estimate of the sprite's height relative to Onix's pokedex size. I'm fairly certain for serpentine pokemon the pokedex size is actually their length anyway. They could do it, just like in Boy Scouts how they teach you to estimate a tree's height based on your standing a known distance from it, etc. It's actually a form of trigonometry.

The in-game Pokédex's size comparison doesn't actually blindly use the Pokémon's height; it has its own set of values describing how big the Pokémon's and trainer's silhouettes should be. Seviper is 2.7 m long, but it's always all scrunched up in its sprites, and I see in my SoulSilver that its silhouette is a little shorter than Lyra's whichi s labelled 1.52 m.

yeah, for google open ID I think you have to have https. Not sure if it was always that way.

On the upside, I guess the authentication mechanism acts as a filter to encourage at least slightly technically-minded guests?

I think veekun is a fabulous example of the value of open collaboration. I probably wouldn't know where to even start developing anything Pokémon-related if Eevee hadn't already gone to the trouble of agglomerating the data into a friendly format for public use.

I've used this site for ages, and apparently even logged in at one point (because I'm still logged in it seems), though I never did anything on the forums. But I guess I'll stop by and say hi.

Hi. OpenID is odd. But I like it.

Every website that needs a login should use OpenID. Damn I hate making usernames and passwords all the time. And email addresses are perfect for the concept of a universal username identifier, since they'll probably replace phone numbers as the distinction between phones and computers continues to blur.

Wow, I sound really arrogant... sorry.